Wax bean soup with ham and shredded noodles
If you have already checked the Hungarian wax bean soup off your to-do list and you seek for new impressions wax beans can provide, this hearty dish will widen your horizons. This colorful wax bean soup is delicious for any time of the year.
It contains a lot of vegetables, shredded noodles and smoked meat. If you can’t get wax beans, feel free to add green beans. You may use any kind of smoked boneless pork, but make sure that the meat is boiled cause the cooking time of this soup is 30-40 minutes that isn’t enough to make a raw meat tender.
- 50 g (~1 3/4 oz) smoked bacon, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp lard
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 wax pepper, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 parsley root, diced
- 1 thick slice of kohlrabi, diced
- 1 small piece of celeriac, diced
- 1 handful of sliced mushrooms
- 500 g (~1 lb) wax or green beans, trimmed and cut
- 2 tsp sweet ground paprika
- 150 g (~5 1/3 oz) smoked and boiled ham (or any other boneless pork), diced
- shredded noodles
- 200 ml (~3 1/2 oz) sour cream
- 1 medium bunch of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the noodles:
- 100-120 g (3 1/2 – 4 1/4 oz) plain flour
- 1 egg
Place lard and bacon in a pot and fry until fat renders. Add finely chopped onions and sauté until translucent. Put in diced wax peppers, tomatoes, carrots, parsley roots, kohlrabi and celeriac, sliced mushrooms and cut wax beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring, then sprinkle paprika over the vegetables.
Pour in 5-6 cups of water, season with salt and pepper and bring it to the boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to medium, add cubed smoked and boiled meat and cook until vegetables are almost tender.
Meanwhile make the shredded noodles by following these instructions.
Add the noodles to the soup and cook for 8-10 minutes more (add more water if needed). Once everything is soft and tender, turn off the heat. Put sour cream in a small bowl, add some hot soup to it, whisk together and pour the mixture in the soup while stirring continuously. As a last step add finely chopped parsley leaves to the soup.